• Gravy - Going to attempt a gravy base this year, using the giblets & neck from the turkey when we take it out to brine it tomorrow. Should give me a thicker, hopefully more flavorful gravy than I got last year (which was more or less roux-based and done on the spot when the turkey came out of the oven).
• Rolls - Honey rolls were baked yesterday, currently chilling out in the freezer. Will be heated up and finished in the countertop oven on Thursday. If chefmongoose brings cornbread, as planned, the rolls may not come out; they were made as backup and can be eaten whenever :)
• Dessert - Five pound apple pie with a cheesy crust is go: the filling is awaiting usage in the fridge, as is the crust. We may also make pumpkin pie because I roasted an amazing amount of sugar pumpkins. Also made a batch of cinnamon ice cream, and will probably have freshly whipped cream available.
• Green Bean Casserole - Green beans from our CSA were blanched and frozen over the summer, onions & mushrooms are bought, chicken stock is ready. spotweld is officially in charge of the green bean casserole.
• Potatoes - We have a lot of them. Currently trying to decide whether we do mashed potatoes or curly fries. Or possibly both. I have maple cheddar, you see, and the idea of that mixed into mashed potatoes pleases me.
• Dressing - Multigrain bread made fresh over the weekend and allowed to sit out and get stale. Will be mixing my own sausage again for it. Going to do it in the crockpot this year to free up stovetop space.
Thanksgiving? We got that :)
In other kitchen-based news, the microwave has decided it does not want to work and is sparking and making weird noises. Fortunately, we have a spare from Spot's old apartment (and outside of melting butter and nuking leftovers or popcorn, we don't use the microwave all that much anyway). We can't really do anything until after Thanksgiving because the microwave has the vent fan built into it (it's above the stovetop) and we'll need that tomorrow and Thursday. Might be time for a trip to Ikea or Sears. On Black Friday weekend. Oh God.
We can survive without a microwave for a bit, I think.